Senior Staff Optical Designer Illumination Optics | Synopsys
Location: USA - Pasadena, CA - Marlboro, MA
All Candidates Welcome
POC and to request an interview: Craig Pansing firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description and Requirements
Senior Staff Optical Designer Illumination Optics
Synopsys’ Optical Solutions Group has an opening in the Illumination Engineering Group for a Sr. Staff Optical Engineer Illumination Designer. The Illumination Engineering Group provides optical design services on a consulting basis to a wide variety of external customers in a wide range of applications that include space, medical, defense, industrial and consumer markets.
This is an opportunity to join the leading provider of illumination design software that has been delivering cutting edge optical and illumination designs to its customers for over 50 years. Interact with some of the most talented engineers, marketers, and software developers in the field of optical design both inside the company and in our expansive customer community. Remote locations will be considered for qualified candidates.
This is an individual contributor role as a member of the illumination optical design and engineering team within the Optical Solutions Group at Synopsys. The successful candidate will be experienced in the design of illumination systems, a proficient user of LightTools, and have an B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Optical Sciences, Physics, Applied Physics, Mechanical Engineering or related technical field. U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status is required, to enable the candidate access to ITAR-controlled projects.
- Industrial creativity, demonstrated skill in highly inter-disciplinary problem solving, ability to work unaided as a self-starter, and excellent engineering judgement and process understanding are required.
- A theoretical and working knowledge of radiative transfer theory, etendue, BSDF, volumetric scattering models and stray light analysis is required.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in illumination design is required with substantial experience using LED sources.
- Skills in the assessment of systems level and fabrication issues as they relate to the selection of an illumination optical design form/approach are required.
- Experience with the implementation of illumination optical system hardware including material selection, fabrication methods, tolerance allocation, and skills and experience in optical testing for both optical surfaces and systems are also needed.
- Experience in working with mechanical CAD software is required, experience with Solidworks or CATIA is preferred.
- Experience in the development of LightTools macros and user defined optical properties (UDOPs) to extend the capability of CODE V, both in the short term to satisfy the needs of specific customers, as well as long term, for the extension of the capabilities of LightTools, are also being sought.
Equally important, a successful candidate will also be able to represent the skills and capabilities of the Illumination Engineering team to potential customers and emerging markets. Exceptional customer interaction skills are being sought. The successful candidate will have demonstrated sound design skills in highly multidimensional problem-solving environments.
Join the leading provider of lens and illumination design and optimization software that has been delivering cutting edge optical and illumination designs to its customers for over 50 years. Interact with some of the most talented engineers, marketers, and software developers in the illumination optics field both inside the company and in our expansive customer community. Impact and extend the development our illumination software (LightTools).
At Synopsys, we’re at the heart of the innovations that change the way we work and play. Self-driving cars. Artificial Intelligence. The cloud. 5G. The Internet of Things. These breakthroughs are ushering in the Era of Smart Everything. And we’re powering it all with the world’s most advanced technologies for chip design and software security. If you share our passion for innovation, we want to meet you.
Stay Connected: Join our Talent Community
Inclusion and Diversity are important to us. Synopsys considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, military veteran status, or disability.
“The base salary range across the U.S. for this role is between $133,000 to 232,000. In addition, this role may be eligible for an annual bonus, equity, and other discretionary bonuses. Synopsys offers comprehensive health, wellness, and financial benefits as part of a competitive total rewards package. The actual compensation offered will be based on a number of job-related factors, including location, skills, experience, and education. Your recruiter can share more specific details on the total rewards package upon request.”
Job Category: Engineering
Country: United States
Job Subcategory: R&D Engineering
Hire Type: Employee
Base Salary Range: $133,000 - 232,000