Engineering Technical Specialist | Belden
Location: Tucson, AZ
US Citizens Only
POC and to request an interview – Tania Desormiers (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Help us write the next 120 years at Belden
Belong to a team of innovative thinkers who Believe in the unlimited potential of a more connected, safer, better world, where you are empowered to Be You each day, bringing your best self to your work to make an impact and create the solutions of tomorrow.
Wherever you are in your career path, you can flourish at Belden. Here, you’ll experience an environment of support, ongoing professional development, and freedom to explore what’s possible. Take on challenges you’ve always wanted to tackle but never dreamed you’d have the opportunity. Experience innovation in new ways. Participate in major technological advancements in connectivity, security and data transformation – advancements that impact the world.
Our Engineering Technical Specialist works in collaboration with the R&D team, materials engineers, and product engineers to test, troubleshoot and provide technical advice on fiber optic products. You will be involved on preparing the plan and documenting the qualification results. The specialist will collaborate on the startup and commissioning of the laboratory environment and equipment. The specialist will also contribute to the day-to-day activities conducted in the lab. This is position will be based in Tucson, AZ.
You will make an impact in the following way:
- Collaborate on the startup of the R&D Fiber Laboratory.
- Coordinate the acquisition, installation and validation of test equipment and test benches.
- Perform optical, mechanical, and environmental tests on fiber optic cable and connectivity products.
- Execute qualification plans based on product requirements and industry standards.
- Design and improve existing test procedures to enhance accuracy.
- Work closely with the R&D Engineers to evaluate new materials.
- Generate test reports with data analysis, technical conclusions, and recommendations to the engineering team.
- Automate data acquisition/analysis for test benches.
- Assemble fiber optic prototypes and perform equipment troubleshooting as required.
- Maintain inventory of consumable materials required for testing.
- Maintain test equipment, apparatus, and respective calibration.
Career progression opportunities over time
- Coach and lead team of laboratory specialists.
- Coordinate laboratory activities and priorities.
- Research and evaluate new equipment as well as innovate procedures for more efficient lab testing.
- Work with Engineers on performing in-depth root cause analysis.
- Provide technical recommendations to product managers through installation guides and customer visits.
What you will bring:
- Associates Degree in Electronics, Mechanical, or Optical Engineering Technology.
- About 3 years of relevant experience in a laboratory environment, preferably in fiber optics domain.
- Knowledge of optical measurement techniques, fiber optics test equipment and/or optical transmission effects
- Experience working in a fast-paced and multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent manual dexterity, attention to detail and resourcefulness
- Strong troubleshooting and statistical skills
- Leadership skills.
If you already have the following, great. If not, we’ll teach you!
- Experience with fiber optical cable, and/or mechanical testing.
- Experience with fiber optical connectivity testing.
- Knowledge of programming in Labview, Visual Basic, Python, C/C ++ or other languages
- Solidworks modeling or similar software.
- Experience or related training with hand tools.
- Proficient in Spanish and/or French.
As part of the Belden team, you can walk down any street in the world, attend a major sporting event, hop on a train, log into a reliable internet connection, watch TV, or look up to the sky and think: my company and I made that happen. 8,500 Belden associates worldwide share this story of pride, vision for innovation and passion for what’s next. This can be your story too.
For more information about what it’s like being a part of Belden, click here: https://www.belden.com/about/careers