Faculty Mini Sabbatical Program - Summer 2023 | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Faculty Mini Sabbatical Program - Summer 2023
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: 708.3 Faculty Scholar 3
- Organization: Office of the Director
- Category: Faculty
- Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
- Position Type: Faculty Scholar
- Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Deadline for applications is January 20, 2023
The Faculty Mini Sabbatical Program (FMSP) hires faculty members from universities throughout the U.S through our Faculty Sabbatical Program. The FMSP allows for faculty members to come to the Lab for 1-3 months to engage in a collaborative training and engagement of mutual interest to exchange knowledge, new skills, and develop collaborations. Faculty will be able to collaborate with Laboratory scientists to learn firsthand about Laboratory research and capabilities, train on new facilities, and share knowledge. Selected faculty members will have access to LLNL’s extensive computing facilities, specialized laboratory facilities and field equipment.
These employees will be hosted by a staff scientist and work collaboratively for 1-3 months within a research group/division at LLNL. Selected faculty for this call will begin sabbatical between June – August 2023. Please apply to the Fall 2023 posting if interested in starting between October 2023 and March 2024.
Each Faculty Scholar is selected based upon their outstanding scholarship and research expertise and overlap with the Lab’s mission. Please include a cover letter and your CV.
The position pays a salary of $14,500/month and covers 1 round-trip reimbursement to and from Livermore in accordance with LLNL travel policy. For more information visit the LLNL Faculty Mini-Sabbatical Program site.
In this role you will
- Provide expertise in one or more of the following areas: Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry, Material Science, Engineering, Nuclear Science, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Geoscience, Energy, Lasers, and/or Biology.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Participate in activities as appropriate to provide and gain exposure to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in relevant scientific field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Must be a continuing faculty member at an accredited research institution in the US.
- Extensive knowledge for applicant’s science field demonstrated by a publication record.
- Demonstrated creativity, exceptional ability, and proven accomplishments in applicant’s area of specialization.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Demonstrated initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Temporary Faculty Scholar appointment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNL invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.