Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a HED Physics - Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist to independently execute experiments and/or to develop instrumentation in support of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and OMEGA laser-matter research. You will plan, design, execute and oversee experiments in the fields of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength and nuclear physics. This position is in the High Energy Density (HED) Scientific & Technology (S&T) Program within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
In this role, you will
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA Laser Facility, and at the on-site Jupiter Laser Facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate optical, x-ray and nuclear diagnostics.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, nuclear physics, dynamic material science, or related discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, nuclear physics or high energy density experiments.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser or pulsed power sources.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.