Laser and Experimental Systems Engineering Undergraduate Internship - Summer 2023 | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Reference #: REF3561F
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$21.40 - $29.00 Hourly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
We have multiple openings for continuing undergraduate scholars to engage in practical research, design, and analysis experience to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, computational engineering, or other related fields. This support may include (but is not limited to) optics processing, design engineering, data mining and analysis, motion control systems, optomechanical systems, electromechanical systems and mechatronics, or various diagnostic systems (including x-ray, optical, and neutron).
These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations Division in support of the National Ignition Facility & Photon Sciences Directorate. These positions may be in Livermore or remote, depending on federal and local health and safety guidelines in the summer of 2023.
In this role, you will
- Provide technical and/or research, design, and/or analytical support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, computational engineering, or other related fields, working with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members.
- Participate in research in assigned area under close supervision.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Attend relevant seminars and prepare a poster for the annual Summer Poster Symposium.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university scholar in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in engineering, physics, optics, computer science, or a related field.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Communication skills necessary to communicate research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Qualifications we desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
NOTE: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; a co-op position, full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.