Tuesday, September 13, 2022
At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. The Optical Product Development team at FRL is looking for an Optical Polarization Design Engineer. You will work cross-functionally with lens, display, research, optical systems, and other optics teams to ensure the performance and realization of optical products.
Optical Engineer - Polarization Design Responsibilities
- Collaborate with optics, display, mechanical, and other cross-functional engineering teams to define, develop, realize, and deliver a variety of polarization sensitive optical systems.
- Derive component and optical system level key performance indicator requirements for optical systems. Develop optical system level modeling capability for complex and novel polarization optical systems and subsystems.
- Support test and metrology development as a subject matter expert in the field of non-sequential optics and polarization.
- Design polarization sensitive optical systems, considering manufacturability and product performance.
- Maintain performance budgets from the component level, up to subsystem and system level.
- Up to 15% domestic and international travel.
- Experience using both logical and creative thinking to solve problems.
- Experience working with ambiguity and collaborating with cross-functional teams to solve complex engineering challenges.
- Masters degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 7+ years of relevant industry experience or PHD with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience communicating and collaborating in a cross-functional team environment.
- Advanced subject expertise in Polarization simulation, Polarization ray tracing, Polarization measurement, and Visual Optics.
- Experience in at least one of the following non-sequential optical software design packages (including the software’s polarization ray trace functionality): Zemax, LightTools, FRED, or ASAP.
- Experience in tolerancing sequential or non-sequential optical systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following: stray light modeling and analysis, illumination optics design and manufacturing, display/backlight design and development.
- Experience in statistical analysis using JMP, MATLAB, or similar programs.
- Advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline.
- Experience in tolerancing non-sequential optical systems.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Experience in non-sequential optics.
- Experience with liquid crystal display backlight and compensation design.
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today—beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Colorado only*) Estimated salary of $204,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)