JOB ID: 615637BR
Date posted: Nov. 21, 2022
Locations: Sunnyvale, California
Program: OPCOE - Various
Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration, and seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then join Lockheed Martin Space’s Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for as an Optical Subsystems Manager! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems.
We are looking for a strong leader to develop high TRL (test readiness level) products for missile and space hardware. You will report and be deployed into Space Engineering and Technology (E&T) Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) organization. This position will lead a group to develop a product portfolio consisting of focal plane assemblies (FPAs), optics, thin films, telescopes, calibrators and other strategic electro-optical components. This group will work with the OPCoE Chief Engineer, architects and Fellows to develop product maturation plans in accordance with Lines of Business (LOB) roadmaps and need dates. This group will keep abreast of SOA (State of Art) as well as SOP (State of Practice) to provide subject matter expertise (SME) across all program lifecycles. This group will be consulted on make/buy decisions for their products and would be the execution team if a “make” decision was determined by the program. You will significantly impact the enterprise through establishment of a dedicated team working to drive common, high TRL products across programs.
As the Optical Subsystems Manager, you will:
• Partner with Lines of Business (LOB), OPCoE Program Development, and OPCoE Payload Systems Engineering teams to develop architectures in a consistent manner to allow use of common products
• Develop transition plans for low TRL products from the science and technology community. An example will be to work with the ATC (Advanced Technology Center) and ensure handoffs are understood between the two organizations.
• In coordination with OPCoE Program Development, propose and execute IRAD projects with a goal of standardization and maturation. You will identify targeted products to reach a higher TRL.
• Enhance relationships with strategic suppliers and other LM Business Areas (BAs) to compliment the in-house OPCoE team.
• Perform as part of the Integrated Product Team (IPT) in cases where an OPCOE make is selected. Your team will support through all program phases and be responsible for EU (engineering unit), qualification and flight as determined by the program. This may be at the component, sub-assembly or subsystem level.
• Work closely with Payload IPTs leads and LOB leadership to understand mission drivers. Fold emerging mission trends into product roadmap to ensure a discriminating edge.
• Implement and lead technical knowledge management to develop and maintain core competencies, key technical skills, knowledge continuity and facilitate career advancement opportunities to employees.
• Handle staffing requirements, sustain engineering capabilities and preserve critical skills.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 14-20 years of professional experience, a Masters and 12-18 years, or a PhD and 9-15 years.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
• Demonstrated experience in manufacturing, producibility, and/or qualification of optical benches and telescopes
• Established experience in developing technical talent and building pipelines to sustain technical expertise within the organization
• US citizenship with the ability to obtain TS/SCI w/Poly clearance
• Experience working across space and ground applications. Our systems include ground-to-ground, space to ground (and vice versa), and space to space.
• Demonstrated experience in developing telescopes and optical benches, calibrators, optical components and developing/evaluating optical coatings. We work with a range of optical systems starting from the sub-meter class through apertures greater than 1.5M.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and/or procuring complex sensor subsystems. These types of sensors are typically high reliability, radiation hardened, high throughput, high resolution systems that may in the visible or infra-red regimes.
• Experience in developing space qualification plans for components
• Excellent communications skills both verbal and written with the proven ability to communicate
• Demonstrated ability to drive closure and resolve complex technical issues/challenges.
• Variety of customer experience and exposure (intelligence, defense, science, and commercial markets).
• 8 years of demonstrated technical expertise
• 3 years demonstrated hands-on expertise in space OR complex hardware/software systems
• Prior Full Spectrum Leadership roles with proven experience leading employees to perform productively and foster relationships in a cross-functional team environment
• Current TS/SCI/Poly security clearance
Security Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.
Clearance Level: TS/SCI
Other Important Information You Should Know
Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.
Pay Rate: The annual base salary range for this position in Colorado or Washington is $127,700 - $244,600 . Please note that the salary information is a general guideline only. Lockheed Martin considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/ training, key skills as well as market and business considerations when extending an offer.
Benefits offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) match, Flexible Spending Accounts, EAP, Education Assistance, Parental Leave, Paid time off, and Holidays.
(Washington state applicants only) Non-represented full time employees: accrue 10 hours per month of Paid Time Off (PTO); receive 40 hours of Granted PTO annually for incidental absences; receive at least 90 hours for holidays. Represented full time employees accrue 6.67 hours of PTO per month; accrue up to 52 hours of sick leave annually; receive at least 96 hours for holidays. PTO is prorated based on hours worked and start date during the calendar year.
This position is incentive plan eligible."
Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.
Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.
Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday off
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Electro-Optical Engineering