Location: San Diego, CA, US, 92127
DRS Daylight Solutions business provides industry-changing mid-infrared laser light technology for government and commercial markets, including: defense and security; life sciences; and industrial process control. As a mid-IR technology pioneer, Daylight Solutions has delivered more mid-IR systems to more applications world-wide than any other company.
At DRS Daylight Solutions, you will be eligible for competitive pay, great benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k match, 9/80 work schedule, and Tuition Assistance. Our Daylight family-oriented culture allows you to receive hands-on training, professional development, career advancement and exposure to the latest and greatest technology, where our motto is "To protect with Light". Come join the family!
In your first year as a Principal Electro-Optical Engineer at Daylight, you will work with a highly interdisciplinary engineering team, developing and building novel, complex electro-optical systems. Combining your leadership skills, technical acumen, and guided by customer requirements, you will guide the transition of new technologies into new products. You will work with complex electro-optical products that include lasers, detectors, embedded control, analog electronics, optics, and highly refined mechanics and packaging. You will work with a highly talented and collaborative multi-disciplinary engineering team to address problems and create solutions that help deliver new products into the marketplace.
- Provide technical leadership and core system design of complex new and derivative laser and electro-optical systems
- Provide guidance, logistics, and leadership to cross-functional integrated product team to ensure a complex product is able to be shipped on time and meeting all requirements
- Own system electro-optical link budget and related requirement flow-down including detector sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio calculations
- Understand interplay of mechanical, thermal, electrical, and optical designs and components, and their interactions in a system to meet performance requirements
- Ensure compliance of performance with customer and internally-generated or flowed-down requirements
- Participate in design starting from theoretical analysis and models to hands-on realization of deliverable hardware
- Provide budget, cost, and schedule input for design assignments
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Knowledge of optical metrology and measurement equipment, especially laser and specialized optical/imaging system characterization
- Experience developing/supporting electro-optical products with complex control electronics (e.g., microcontrollers/FPGAs/analog electronics)
- Appreciation and practice for engineering process rigor appropriately applied based on product/process maturity
- Ability to lead design and major problem resolution efforts and collaborate with other engineers to complete highly complex projects
- Solid problem-solving, presentation, and written and oral communication skills spanning internal teams to end customer
- Background experience in semiconductor laser technology, optical design/modeling, and optical components a plus
- Familiarity with common EDA & system design tools (such as Solidworks, Zemax, or MATLAB) a plus
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related technical field with minimum 8 years of experience, preferably in optical or laser-related industry
- Mastery of detector & imager signal/image processing methods and related technologies
- Specialty in optics and lasers: Involved with the overall development of laser-based optical systems. Coordinate with hardware design teams in selecting, designing, procuring and qualifying components. Develop performance models and test procedures in coordination with software & firmware teams. Validate performance, debug issues, ensure customer’s success with product.
The pay scale for this position is $138,087/year - $210,653/year. The pay scale information is a general guideline only. When extending an offer of employment, DRS Daylight Solutions considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position; any Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, the candidate’s relevant work experience, education/training, certifications, and key skills; internal equity; and market and business considerations.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #LI-SF1