Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Alignment Process Engineer to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) programs. NIF is the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. You will be part of a team responsible for ensuring maximum productivity and data fidelity during the target, diagnostics, and laser beams alignment for every NIF shot. In this role you will provide technical expertise across all processes used during NIF alignment activities. You will be responsible for helping to establish processes, develop and maintain procedures, and training plans. In addition you will assess data quality to ensure the highest level of quality on every NIF shot. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute and function as a team member with responsibilities for new process development and commissioning projects for current and next generation alignment systems using readily identifiable factors and working under general supervision.
- Apply technical rigor to processes of limited complexity through requirements flow down and verification including detailed analysis and metrics monitoring.
- Attend formal and informal design reviews, contributing as part of the overall team.
- Work under general direction to determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria that are well defined.
- Develop and execute commissioning, maintenance, and calibration procedures for processes including analyzing, summarizing, and presenting resulting data using standard techniques and methods and fundamental knowledge.
- Plan and execute work to ensure the readiness and functionality of system spares for rapid deployment in the NIF facility.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure the successful integration and proper functioning of systems and processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Define moderately complex to complex requirements for and design experiments to develop advanced capabilities while working under limited direction.
- Provide guidance at informal and formal design reviews.
- Provide guidance and informal mentoring as needed on a subset of processes within the Alignment Systems suite including the more detailed processes development and metrics monitoring.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Optics, or related discipline or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience with the design, commissioning, operation, or maintenance of laser or opto-mechanical systems that are well defined.
- Fundamental knowledge of laser, optical, or opto-mechanical systems including remote control of opto-mechanical devices using computer-based systems.
- Knowledge of common data analysis techniques, statistics, and/or systems engineering.
- Experience solving technical problems of limited complexity working with multidisciplinary teams while under general direction.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive expertise in moderately complex to complex precision hardware, laser, optical, or opto-mechanical systems and gathering more advanced technical requirements.
- Proficiency and broad experience being an active member of design review processes and/or informally mentoring others in areas of technical specialty.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills including collaboration skills necessary to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Optics, or related field.
- Experience in laser alignment, laser beam spatial, temporal, and spectral characterization; optical, opto-mechanical, and electro-optical design. Understanding of CCD and CMOS cameras, image acquisition and processing techniques.
- Experience working on large-scale laser system operations, maintenance, or production support.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pahttps://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/LLNL/3743990000646916-process-engineer-for-nif-alignment?oga=truess a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.