Product support engineers at Edmund Optics (EO) are responsible for providing pre-sales and post-sales technical support to customers utilizing optical components in a variety of application spaces (e.g. life sciences, biomedical, industrial inspection, semiconductor, R&D, and defense). They are part of a dynamic team that is extensively trained to assist customers with Edmund Optics’ commercial off-the-shelf components and custom manufacturing capabilities.
- Provide product and application support to customers contacting us via phone, chat, and email (6hrs/day).
- Field custom optics requests and determine feasibility based on Edmund Optics’ manufacturing capabilities. Assist with the formal quoting process if the request is feasible.
- Attend trainings given by 3rd party suppliers to stay up to date with existing and emerging technology.
- Provide pre-sales support in the form of quotes, pricing, and availability.
- Provide post-sales support in the form of troubleshooting and RMA creation.
- Log customer interactions (including inquiry type and resolution) using Dynamics CRM.
- Work with other departments within Edmund Optics to provide complete customer solutions, improve the customer experience, and stay apprised of company operations.
- Assist in a variety of side tasks (e.g. technical content creation, data clean-up, updating product documentation, etc.) to better support EO customers and colleagues.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that such accommodations do not impose an undue hardship on EO. Any employee who believes they require reasonable accommodations should notify EO’s Human Resources Department.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge and technical aptitude in optics or a related field
- Basic customer service skills and phone etiquette
- Professional demeanor
- Proficient in active listening and effective communication
- Capable of critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and problem solving
- Ability to review, edit, and draft technical documents such as spec sheets, application notes, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Capable of multi-tasking and tolerating a high level of stress
- Capable of keeping track of numerous ongoing customer conversations
- Requires minimal supervision and direction
- Preferred: US citizenship or permanent residency (green card)
Minimum: Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or related field.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.