RF Engineer Scientist (RVBYS) | Air Force Research Laboratory
The Space Vehicles Directorate is seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist/engineer to lead electromagnetic (i.e., RF/Optical) signals research activities. This interdisciplinary position is open to all Science & Engineering Professionals
DR-02 $82,556 to $129,633; DR-03 $113,941 to$161,018 (including locality)
This job announcement will be accepting candidate submissions until 06 March 2023
The Geospace Satellite Navigation Section (RVBYS) seeks to hire an experienced scientist/engineer, DR-II to DR-III, to lead the satellite electromagnetic (i.e. RF/optical) signals for satellite navigation and communications research activities.
Position duties include but are not limited to:
- Apply knowledge of RF/optical signals, microwave engineering, transmitters/receivers, and electronics to advance the state of the art and technology readiness of satellite navigation and communication science and technology.
- Conduct and lead multiple research, development, testing, and evaluation activities associated with satellite laser/RF navigation and communication as risk-reduction for space-flight experiments and technology demonstrations.
- Conduct or lead research in the fields of communication networking, RF/optical signal propagation, RF/optical transmitter/receiver design and signal processing
- Conduct or lead development of innovative technologies and algorithms to transmit/receive electro magnetic signals to improve system performance and resilience in benign and challenged environments.
- Conduct or lead testing and evaluation of communications and navigation technologies in laboratory and field environments as part of a research team composed of contractors, civilians, military, and students.
- Conduct or lead advance technology demonstrations and space flight experiments to mature technology and facilitate rapid transition to the warfighter.
- Generate, edit, and process technical reports, test plans, research papers, and proposals in accordance with AFRL/RV policy.
- Support the program manager with acquisition planning and execution of multiple research and development contracts and agreements with prime contractors, small businesses, and universities.
- Attend technical interchange meetings, program reviews, and training classes (some travel may be required).
- Support program management, reporting, workforce development, and training tasks in accordance with AFRL/RV policy.
This position is expected to be a lateral move for internal candidates with the potential of a salary increase due to increased responsibilities, if justified.
Telework - Yes, this position is eligible for telework opportunities; as determined by agency policy
Remote Work (CONUS) - No, this position is not approved for remote work.
Maximum Telework Flexibilities: The duty location for this position is listed below, however, this position is eligible for maximum telework flexibilities. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty.
Kirtland AFB, NM
- US Citizenship
- Must possess a professional physics or engineering (S&E) degree from an accredited academic institution.
- Applicants must currently hold, or have the ability to obtain a DOD TS/SCI clearance
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a Federal job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply.
- Experience in leading teams
- Experience working with or within the Department of Defense research community
- PhD Degree is desired
- Cultivates and sustains a professional environment of cooperation, cohesion and teamwork
(Req. No. 93685)
Who May Apply - All US Citizens
City, State - Albuquerque, NM
Level - Mid-Level
Pay Range (Estimated)
DR-02 $82,556 to $129,633; DR-03 $113,941 to $161,018 (including locality)