In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Optical engineering, Chemistry & materials science, Electrical engineering
PUBLISHED: 5 DAYS AGO JOB ID: J-00258528-249
Introduction to the job
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. Our San Diego-based light source division, Cymer, is renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster, chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
“This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.”
Role and responsibilities
The Sr Systems Engineer (Laser) is the technical owner for the architecture of Cymer DUV laser products: responsible for assessing, developing, validating and reviewing the system-level architecture to enable first-time customer functionality. The Systems Engineer works in a cross-functional team with Program/Project Managers, Technical Marketing, and Module Engineers to develop and productize new technologies and laser systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives technology development and advancement.
- Performs technology assessments and trade studies.
- System design reviews and system integration.
- Conduct risk assessments and analysis.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for system design from concept design through manufacturing transfer and ramp.
- Generates system requirements to meet customer product requirements.
- Validates concepts through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Manages a project plan including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Works with Engineers of various disciplines for prototype and pilot designs.
- Drives full documentation of designs and documentation.
- Designs and supports the execution of system verification testing.
- Manages development activities using the Cymer Product Development Process including concept reviews, design reviews, proto builds, pilot builds, verification testing, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Analyzes problems in existing systems, plan and conduct investigations, and develop solution proposals.
- Coordinates all phases in the development, from inception through to product release.
- Develops test plans, creates test procedures, performs tests and data reduction and evaluates test data.Modifies designs based upon test results.
- Interfaces with manufacturing engineering to develop and implement designs that improve manufacturability.
- Interfaces with manufacturing personnel to coordinate the build of modified or new prototype assemblies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Minimum requirement – Bachelor’s Degree (Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Optics or related field).Master's Degree or PhD. is desired. Minimum 3 years of relevant, work related experience with a Master’s or PhD.At least 7 years of relevant, work related experience with a Bachelors’ degree.
- Product Industry experience working with project / group teams – customer focused (needs, requirements, expectations, etc.)
- Extensive experimental experience and skills in laboratory environment is required (i.e. safety, exposure to pressurized gases, loud machinery, lasers, etc.).
- Has successfully led and completed a technical project.
- Extensive experience with MATLAB or Python.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire and analyze data from a variety of sources, and use this data to drive risk analysis and design changes.
- Demonstrated ability to perform test and/or validation design.
- Experience troubleshooting electronics, mechanical parts, optics, opto-electronics, etc.
- Experience with excimer lasers is desired.
- Practical experience with laser systems, either in manufacturing or laboratory environments is highly desirable.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work in a fast-moving, high-tech environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams, and provide technical leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate technical results and report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Responsibilities include periodic travel to regional and overseas sites for product technical support and special support projects.
- Work may include onsite technical support involving heavy lifting of equipment & modules.
- Position will require technical work activity in a clean-room production environment and/or laboratory setting.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Occasionally may be exposed to loud noise bursts and may be exposed to toxic gases (fluorine).
- Must be able to work in small, confined spaces.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.