Summer 2023 Intern - (Optics, MS/PHD) | Zemax
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, CA, V6E2M6 Montreal, Quebec, CA, H3A3G4 Waterloo, ON, CA, N2J4G8
Ansys is the global leader in engineering simulation. We empower the world’s most innovative companies to deliver transformational products to their customers. By offering the best and broadest portfolio of engineering simulation software solutions, we help our customers solve the most complex design challenges and engineer products limited only by imagination. Whether you are a software developer, product engineer, sales team member, or part of our corporate team, at Ansys we know that by embracing what makes us each unique, we become collectively better.
Ansys empowers the world's most innovative companies to design and deliver transformational products by offering the best and broadest engineering simulation software to solve the most complex design challenges. Through our enriching internship program, we help develop the next generation of engineers and technologists who will address those challenges. As an intern, you will help develop our industry-leading simulation software while gaining real experience in your field of study. You will work on a variety of impactful projects to help maintain, advance, and accelerate Ansys products. In this internship, you will support the Zemax team. This is a 40-hour per week paid position starting May 2023 and concluding August 2023.
- Creates models of moderately complex optical systems – such as wide-angle cameras, heads-up displays, and medical imaging devices – using Zemax OpticStudio for benchmarking both improvements to existing software functionality and new software capabilities
- Identifies improvements to the functionality and performance of Zemax OpticStudio through active use of the software application
- Creates automated workflows for optical system setup and analysis via the Zemax OpticStudio Application Programming Interface (ZOS-API) using Python and/or MATLAB
- Works under the general supervision of a development lead or manager
Minimum Education/Certification Requirements and Experience
- Pursing a Masters or PhD in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, or Physics with an optics emphasis.
- 1+ year of experience programming with C++, C#, MATLAB, Python, or similar
- Ability to learn quickly and to collaborate with others
- Currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to university after the completion of the internship program
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Technical knowledge and experience with optical engineering, including optical modeling, design, fabrication, testing, and/or building of optical systems
- 1+ year of experience in optical system design and analysis using commercial ray tracing software
- Experience with Zemax OpticStudio and the ZOS-API
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to understand and communicate project overviews as well as in-depth details
ALIGNING YOUR VALUES TO OUR SOLUTIONS
At Ansys, our diverse, collaborative teams give us the strength and insight to solve the world’s most challenging engineering problems. Our ONE Ansys culture has at its core:
- Customer Focus
- Results and Accountability
- Transparency and Integrity
- Sense of Urgency
- Collaboration and Teamwork
ENGINEERING YOUR CAREER AT ANSYS
At Ansys, you will find yourself among the sharpest minds and most visionary leaders across the globe. Collectively we strive to change the world with innovative technology and transformational solutions. With a prestigious reputation in servicing well-known, world-class companies, standards at Ansys are high – met by those willing to rise to the occasion and meet those challenges head-on. At Ansys, it’s about the learning, the discovery and the collaboration. It’s about the “what’s next” as much as the “mission accomplished.” And it’s about the melding of disciplined intellect with strategic direction and results that have, can and do impact real people in real ways. All this is forged within a working environment built on respect, autonomy and ethics.
At Ansys, you will find yourself among those eager to drive the world towards the next best thing with hands planted firmly on the wheel. Our team is passionate about pushing the limits of world-class simulation technology, empowering our customers to turn their design concepts into successful, innovative products faster and at lower cost. As a measure of our success in attaining these goals, Ansys has been recognized as one of the world's most innovative companies by prestigious publications such as Bloomberg Businessweek and FORTUNE magazines.
Ansys is an S&P 500 company and a member of the NASDAQ-100. We are proud to have been recognized for the following awards: Bay Area Best Places to Work, a Pillar World Awards Gold Winner, Fast Company Best Places to Work for Innovators, a Gold Stevie Award for Great Employers, the FORTUNE Future 50, a DCA Silver Winner, an R&D100 Finalist, a 20% by 2020 Women on Boards winner, a 2020 Pittsburgh Tech 50 – finalist, and America’s Most Responsible Companies.
For more information, please visit us at www.ansys.com
We are committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging where everyone thrives as ONE Ansys team.
Ansys is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Ansys does not accept unsolicited referrals for vacancies, and any unsolicited referral will become the property of Ansys. Upon hire, no fee will be owed to the agency, person, or entity.