Thursday, August 25, 2022
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Laser Engineers to support laser systems in the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will be an integral part of the team responsible for running, maintaining, and enhancing the advanced laser systems and diagnostics for the world’s largest laser system with 192 beams used to conduct experiments in High Energy Density Physics, Laser Fusion and Ignition, and National Security. NIF also houses two advanced laser systems that you may support: the Advanced Radiographic Capability (ARC) – the world’s highest energy short-pulse laser - and the Optical Thompson Scattering Laser (OTSL) – a high energy deep UV laser. Both advanced laser systems are used in conjunction with the NIF laser. As a Laser Engineer supporting NIF, ARC and OTSL, you will be responsible for ensuring optimal performance of all laser subsystems, troubleshooting off-normal events, and supporting the integration of new capabilities while working under the direction of the System Manager (SM). These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Perform hands-on work activities on the NIF, ARC and OTS laser systems using standard techniques and methods to ensure optimal performance. Responsibilities include performing alignment, evaluation, calibration (offline and online), troubleshooting, data analysis, data archiving and system documentation.
- Support the development and design of system enhancements that are of limited complexity and are well defined to increase system reliability and maintainability.
- Under general direction, participate in the coordination and planning of all work activities both within your work teams as well as with the broader NIF facility.
- Acquire and analyze large sets of data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Interact with a large computer control system to operate and maintain various diagnostics and controls.
- Generate and maintain system documentation relating to configuration management including operations & test procedures; interpret & document performance and test results; identify and propose solutions.
- Interface with immediate supervisors, project leads, scientists, engineers, and technicians in the group to complete various projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Apply scientific & engineering principles in the development of moderately complex to complex sub-system designs. Activities include acting as a main point of contact for planning work activities, collaborating with stakeholders to develop requirements, informally leading design reviews, designing and building hardware prototypes, installation, and commissioning.
- Perform laser performance analysis at a system level and present data to a peer review team with recommendations to enhance performance.
- Provide engineering solutions to resolve moderately complex to complex technical issues.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Fundamental knowledge needed to work with optical technologies that are well defined including: continuous wave & pulsed laser systems, detectors, and measurement techniques.
- Experience contributing and functioning as a team member with the full lifecycle of system design, operation, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades.
- Proficiency with laboratory test equipment including oscilloscopes, signal generators, optical spectrum analyzers, energy & power meters.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data of limited complexity that is well defined; writing test plans, documenting test results, and generating reports.
- Knowledge of analytical software such as MATLAB, IDL, Excel or Python.
- Possess fundamental decision making and analytical skills necessary to work under general direction and anticipate, analyze, and provide solutions to technical problems, while adhering to well-defined practices and procedures.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive problem-solving and decision-making skills and broad experience to anticipate, identify, and recommend appropriate actions and solutions to moderately complex to complex problems in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities under limited direction.
- Broad experience collaborating with diverse technical teams to achieve goals.
- Experience in and proficiency with moderately complex to complex systems engineering and project management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience with short-pulse laser systems using Chirped-Pulse-Amplification (CPA) technology, that may include Joule-level high energy laser systems.
- Experience with optical & mechanical design software and/or non-linear optics.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.