Thursday, August 25, 2022
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to independently work on light matter interactions with an emphasis on laser damage science, laser propagation, and/or materials characterization. An important aspect of the work involves the development and use of high energy laser-matter interaction experiments, laser beam propagation experiments, and/or high sensitivity optical microscopy capabilities including multimodal characterization. This position is in the Laser Material Interaction Science group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in laser-matter interactions and/or microscopy.
- Design and conduct complex experiments related to laser effects including laser damage and growth, laser beam propagation, and/or laser-based diagnostics and characterization.
- Engineer, construct, and modify optical apparatuses research in laser-matter interactions.
- Experience in developing various optical systems using multiple laser systems, hands-on laboratory experimentation (e.g., ability to configure automated experiments for efficient data collection), and data analysis.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Convey capabilities and new opportunities to DOE and internal sponsors.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Physics, Material Science, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience in laser technology and optics.
- Experience in optical system design and building complex optical layouts.
- Experience with various laser (CW, ns, ps, and fs) systems.
- Experience with laser material processing techniques (i.e., environment-controlled laser processing), laser beam propagation or with laser material characterization methods (i.e., time-resolved PL, pump probe).
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, execution, and analysis.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills including the ability to work both as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team, as well as the ability to produce independent, original work.
- Ability to think broadly and devise innovative solutions to problems to accomplish research objectives.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in using class 4 lasers, optics layout, and engineering.
- Experience in wavelength, time, and spatial multiplexing schemes.
- Experience with computer software for instrumentation design and control.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.