Pulsed Power Physicist Engineer | XCIMER
Xcimer Energy Corporation is looking for a pulsed power physicist/engineer, responsible for electrical design, hardware procurement support, overseeing of assembly, testing and operation of large pulsed power systems that power rare-gas/halide (excimer) lasers; initially for Xcimer prototype systems, and continuing through the design and demonstration of a power-producing IFE reactor.
- Perform electrical stress analysis for pulsed power and high voltage components, using 2D and 3D electrical field analysis software, such as QuickField
- Perform circuit simulations of steady-state and transient circuits using lumped element codes such as SPICE and its derivatives and CASTLE (NRL), as well as some transmission line analysis using codes such as BERTHA (NRL) and SCREAMER (SNLA)
- Communicate and interact with mechanical, laser and optical engineering members of the design team
- Follow the design of the Phoenix system through Preliminary and Final Designs
- Support procurement of Phoenix hardware
- Oversee and assist assembly by a team of interdisciplinary technicians
- Support shake-down and testing of pulsed power system(s) for Phoenix
- Support operation of the pulsed power equipment for laser development/iteration
- Data acquisition
- Bachelors Degree in Physics with course and lab work in electromagnetic field theory
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Entry level to a few years relevant experience
- Coursework in computer simulation as an analysis and design tool
- Desirable: Coursework/knowledge of transmission line theory as applied to transient circuits
- Desirable: High voltage laboratory experience
Xcimer Energy Corporation is a startup pursuing commercial energy production from inertial fusion, using the same fundamental physics recently proven by the NIF (National Ignition Facility) and made economically viable by Xcimer’s novel, low-cost laser architecture. Xcimer was founded in 2021 by a team of experts in high-energy laser systems, nuclear physics and fusion engineering, and has received backing from leading clean energy and deep-tech investors. Xcimer’s comprehensive, integrated design for a power plant has been analyzed and reviewed by independent experts and represents the most assured path to put fusion energy on the grid within 10 years. Xcimer is currently finalizing plans for construction of a prototype, multi-kJ laser facility to demonstrate critical aspects of the Xcimer laser architecture.
XCIMER Energy Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by federal, state or local law.
For more information: visit www.xcimer.energy or contact firstname.lastname@example.org