- Professor of Ophthalmology
- Professor: The University of Arizona, College of Optical Sciences, 2010-2021
- Assistant and Associate Professor: The University of Arizona, Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science, 1998-2010
- Assistant Research Scientist: The University of Arizona, Optical Sciences Center, 1995-1998
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery: Member
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology: Member
- International Society of Refractive Surgery: Journal of Refractive Surgery, Associate Editor
- The Optical Society (OSA): Fellow, 2017
- The Optical Society (OSA): Member
- SPIE: Member
Awards and Honors
- Eastman Kodak: Fellowship, 1992-1995
- Eastman Kodak: Scholarship, 1987-1990
- Research to Prevent Blindness: Career Development Award, 2002-2006
- The University of Arizona: Researcher at the Leading Edge, 2012
Specific Research Interests
- Ophthalmic instrument design.
- Wavefront sensing.
- Corneal topographic analysis.
- Retinal imaging.
- Schematic eye modeling.
- Visual performance analysis.
- Aberration theory.
- Lens design.
- Optical system design and testing.
The ophthalmic optics lab primarily designs and fabricates instrumentation for measuring various properties of the human eye. These devices include wavefront sensors for measuring the aberrations of the eye and corneal topographers for measuring the three dimensional geometry of the corneal surface. The lab has also developed novel retinal imaging techniques incorporating both polarimetric and spectroscopic measurement of the retinal tissue. Finally, the lab is also expanding these core technologies to address other needs in the fields of optical design and testing, biometric identification and computational photography.
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, 1995
- M.S., University of Rochester, 1991
- B.S., University of Rochester, 1990