The Optics Ambassador Program
The Optics Ambassador Program at the Wyant College of Optical Sciences is a volunteer program of exceptional student leaders who are passionate about optics, engage in outreach activities, represent the college at special events, and serve as official liaisons between the college and prospective students, guests, and the community.
What is an Optics Ambassador?
Optics Ambassadors are positive, enthusiastic, outgoing, well-informed representatives of the Wyant College of Optical Sciences. Optics Ambassadors are passionate about the work that happens here and are interested in engaging with faculty, students, and staff to create meaningful community outreach and engagement experiences.
As an Optics Ambassador, you will...
- Join a team of peers dedicated to representing the Wyant College of Optical Sciences and educating the public about the importance of optics
- Engage in community outreach both on and off campus, sharing your knowledge about optics and the Wyant College with prospective students, guests, and community members
- Lead building & lab tours for prospective students, donors, and community members
- Attend and support Wyant College events, including:
- New Grad Student Orientation
- Welcome Back Events
- Recruitment Events
- Industrial Affiliates Corporate Showcase
- Company Info Sessions
- National & Local Conferences Expos
- OSC Convocation Ceremony
- Winter School
- Social Events, and more!
Learn more about the...
- Participate in exclusive networking opportunities with major companies and community stakeholders
- Receive invitations to special events, including prospective student lunches, socials, and more
- Strengthen your communication and leadership skills while building your resume with valuable experiences, letters of recommendation, and a leadership certificate from the Wyant College
- Deepen your connection to the UArizona campus community, connecting with students both inside and outside your specialty
- Lunch once a semester
- *Receive an exclusive Optics Ambassador polo shirt so you can represent OSC everywhere you go!
- *Receive Optics Ambassador Business Cards, to use when networking on and off campus and while serving as an ambassador.
- *Recognition as an OSC Ambassador on the OSC website.
- *Special Recognition at graduation
*After the Applicant has completed training and has served as a “Junior Ambassador” their first semester. Academic Programs will recognize new Ambassadors.
- Participate in Optics Ambassador training, comprised of 3 one-hour sessions
- Attend monthly Optics Ambassador meetings
- Commit to working at least two of the following events each semester: Industrial Affiliate Workshop, OSC Winter School, New Grad Orientation, New Graduate Recruitment, OSC Convocation two small events, such as building tours and info sessions, as needed.
- Help develop content, like videos and a FAQ for the program.
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student at the Wyant College of Optical Sciences
- Undergraduate student must be a Junior or Senior
- M.S. students must have completed 1 year at OSC (the first year could have been as an undergrad).
- Ph.D. students must have completely passed the qualifying exam and have a confirmed faculty research advisor/Ph.D. Advisor
- Be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or above)
- Be punctual, reliable, organized, and enthusiastic.
- Commit to serving at least two semesters.
- Must complete the Ambassador application and interview.