Wyant College of Optical Sciences
The University of Arizona
1630 E. University Blvd.
P.O. Box 210094
Tucson, AZ 85721-0094
- Professor: The University of Arizona, College of Optical Sciences, 2006-present
- Associate Professor: The University of Arizona, Optical Sciences Center/College of Optical Sciences, 2000-2006
- Director of Active Product: Nortel Networks-Coretek, 2000-2001
- Assistant Professor: The University of Arizona, Optical Sciences Center, 1995-2000
- Associate Research Officer: National Research Council of Canada, Institute for Microstructural Sciences, 1995
- Assistant Research Officer: National Research Council of Canada, Institute for Microstructural Sciences, 1992-1995
- Research Associate: National Research Council of Canada, Institute for Microstructural Sciences, 1989-1995
- Adjunct Professor: Montreal Polytechnic (Canada), 1994-1996
- Research Assistant: Bendix Electronics, Summer of 1988
- Graduate Researcher: Toulouse University (France), 1984-1988
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- IEEE: Member
- IEEE Photonics Society: Annual Meeting, Integrated Optics, Optoelectronics and Interconnects Subcommittee, Chair, 2010
- IEEE Photonics Society: Annual Meeting, Program Committee, Member, 2008-2009
- International Journal of Optics: Editorial Board, Member
- The Optical Society (OSA): Member
- SPIE: Optical Engineering Lasers and Applications in Science and Engineering, Conference on WDM Components, Committee Member, 1996-2002
- SPIE: Photonics East, Conference on Electro-optic, Integrated Optic and Electronic Technologies for Chemical and Identification, Chair, 1998
- SPIE: Photonics West, Conference on Heterogeneous Integration, Critical Review, Chair, 1998
- SPIE: Photonics West, Fabrication, Testing and Reliability of Semiconductor Lasers Session, Co-Chair, 1996-1999
- SPIE: Photonics West, High-Power Fiber and Semiconductor Lasers Session, Chair, 2003
- OPTI 240
- OPTI 370
- OPTI 578
- OPTI 626
- OPTI 677
Specific Research Interests
- High-power semiconductor lasers.
- Narrow line-width tunable sources.
- Fabry-Perot tunable filters and switches.
- DFB/DBR lasers.
- Grating-assisted integrated optics.
- Photonic integrated circuits.
- Optical communication wavelength filters.
- Solgel and polymer integration.
- WDM components.
- Micro-nanofabrication and nanostructures.
Research interests include high-power semiconductor lasers, VECSELs, tunable lasers, micro/nanofabrication of photonic integrated circuits, hybrid organic-inorganic heterogeneous integration and Si-based WDM components. The group’s high-power laser and photonics characterization facility provides full capability for device testing. It includes various instruments for CW, pulse and high-speed characterization. The devices are fabricated in the cleanroom facility at the College of Optical Sciences. The facility houses the key instruments for micro/nanofabrication including electron beam lithography, ECR-RIE, DUV photolithography, etc.
- Ph.D., Toulouse University (France), 1988
- M.S., Toulouse University (France), 1986
- B.S., Dijon University (France), 1984